What is Robotic Process Automation (RPA)?
RPA has been quite a buzz word in the Industry and there are many RPA tools. If you are new to RPA, I would suggest checking What is RPA article before moving ahead.
As we have seen in What is RPA, the main goal of any RPA tool is to automate the easy, repetitive tasks which can be done based on certain rules. This is done by bots (software driven by rules).
There are many RPA tools in the market and based on your requirement you should choose a tool intelligently as that may impact the final outcome of RPA implementation.
Before choosing the right RPA tool, let’s see what features any RPA tool should have mandatory:
- A bot should be able to make decisions and determine its actions based on inputs gathered from other systems.
- A bot should be able to interact with various other systems either through screen scraping / API integrations.
- A bot should have an interface to program the bot
You may wonder why I need to use RPA tools when I can do automation using Excel, macro or any other traditional automation tools. If you see all these traditional tools are not very much reliable and scalable. For automation to succeed, it should be easy(less time consuming), flexible and it should be intelligent (rule based). Below is the checklist for selecting RPA tool:
Now as we know the selection checklist as well as what to look for in any RPA tool, let’s analyze top RPA tools and see how they fit into your requirement.
There are many RPA tools in the market but we will cover top 3 RPA tools in this article:
- Automation Anywhere
As per Forrester Q2 2018 report for RPA tools, UiPath is the best RPA tool.
Some of the common benefits of any RPA tool we have already seen in “What is RPA” article. Now, let’s see the complete list of benefits:
- No coding skill required:
- Community version is Free
- Highly secured: Offers enterprise level security
- Ease of auditing: RPA logs all the steps done by robot and can be reviewed easily by employee for compliance
- Access control: Role based access control
- Compatibility with legacy system: As UiPath works on presentation layer and interact with the system how a human would interact, companies are not required to make any changes in theire legacy system
- Built-in Activities
- Integration with tools : Integration with ERP, BPM and AI tools
- Document management and data extraction
- API enablement
Companies Using UiPath: Accenture, Atos, Cognizant, Capegemini, Genpact, IBM, TCS, KPMG, PWC, Altran
You can check Gartner comparison of UiPath vs Blueprism Here
It is the world’s largest software provider of robotic process automation.As per Forrester Q2 2018 report, Automation Anywhere is the leader in Robotic Process Automation. As per that report Automation Anywhere is ahead of other vendors in providing a bot store for partners.
- Cognitive robots
- Rules setting
- Machine Learning
- Administrative console
- Single sign-On
- Version control
- Bank-Grade Security
Companies Using Automation Anywhere: Juniper, ANZ, Genpact, EY, Cognizant, Infosys, Wipro, Accenture
You can check Gartner comparison of Automation Anywhere vs Blueprism Here
There are the inventor of RPA term so in that regard they are the pioneer in RPA field. To automate business processes, Blue prism offers flow chart like interface with drag and drop feature to automate.
- Easy to setup
- High level of security
- Multi-language support
- 3rd party integration
- Multi-environment deployment model
- Automated credential management
- Audit trails
- Process changes in comparison
- Process configuration
- Application automation
- Central administrative console
- User role settings
- Reporting and analytics
Companies Using Blueprism: O2, Walgreen, Heineken
You can check Gartner comparison of Blueprism vs UiPath Here
You can check Gartner comparison of Blueprism vs Automation Anywhere Here
I hope you have some idea about how to choose an RPA tool though it’s not easy to decide on which tool to learn and use. But whatever tool you choose to learn to rest assured that Automation is future (or if I may say it’s the present). Gain your expertise in any of the tools and create an excellent career in RPA.